Friday, March 6, 2009

Seriously People? 40 Weeks + 2 Days

Last night Taki and I took Jeff and Sarah up on their babysitting offer and went out to eat at a great woodfire pizza place over by their house. Although it wasn't a steakhouse, we did have some red meat (prosciutto) on the pizza and it was delicious. I asked if any items on the menu had ever put anyone into labor and the waitress said not that she knew of. Of course, I think they have only been open for 3 months. I told her if the pizza did the trick I would make sure to let her know.

Here's a shot of us before dinner. 40 Weeks + 1 Day. For those keeping up, I am still wearing my non-maternity Lucky jeans. Whether they were actually buttoned or not after dinner will remain a mystery to you people.

Today I woke up with a plan to help this baby along. Nikos and I walked two miles up to Habitot and played for a few hours. The big hits of the visit this time were the train table (again) and the new ride-in cars.



Playing with trains is serious business. I think he is just baffled by the actual tunnel, since at home we make his trains go through the "tunnel" which is actually a book overturned and propped open. Ha!

Taking a break to paint.
And back on the road. There's obviously a traffic jam up ahead.

Ouch, this look came right after he mumbled something about it being too bad the other guy's car didn't come with a turn signal. Hmm, wonder where he got that from? I guess I should just feel happy there wasn't any cussing involved.

After Habitot we walked down the street and met up with Sarah and Marco at Jupiter for lunch. I asked for the spiciest pizza they had, preferably something that would make me go into labor. Hmph. Considering I am back home writing this entry you can see how well that turned out. After lunch I helped recover a stolen car -- or more specifically, I helped recover a misplaced car. If Sarah wants to deny it was hers then I will stick to that story too...uh, it was Jenn Martin's. (Ha, I blame Jenn for everything!)

After playing the hero-car-finder role, Nikos and I walk the two miles back to our house. Coincidentally, my four mile round trip trek does put me directly in front of the fire station, packed with young, buff, trainees that I am sure would be more than eager to help out a damsel in labor. Unfortunately, this damsel is not in the least bit of labor distress. In fact, I don't think I had one contraction the whole way back!

4 comments:

Nick, Jocelyn and Kevin said...

OK, you cannot go 22 hours without posting an update. Here I was thinking you were in labor. You must post at least every couple of hours. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Top 5 ways to induce labor:
1. Eat spicy foods or pineapple.

2. Go for a walk or march up some stairs. This is thought to bring on labor because of the pressure of the baby's head pressing down on your cervix. At the very least, walking can help get your baby into a better position for labor.

3. Have sex. A favorite for many pregnant women, sex can help by releasing a hormone called oxytocin, which causes the uterus to contract. Additionally, semen contains a substance known as prostaglandins, which will help soften the cervix.

4. Nipple stimulation. For those who find sex just too uncomfortable right now, nipple stimulation may be a better choice. It helps to bring on labor in much the same way sex does, by releasing oxytocin. However, this method may take a bit more effort than sex to start labor.

5. Stretching of the uterine opening membranes. This can be done by your doctor or midwife and has been found to increase the chances of labor starting within 48hours.

OR CHILL - Natalie will come when she's ready! :)

The Press Family said...

I canNOT believe you walked 4 miles at 40+2 days prego! Wow. Seriously, I'm beyond impressed.

Vernie said...

Once again, prosciutto is ham which is pork, "the other white meat" but keep trying one of these times your red meat might actually be red meat.