Wednesday, February 25, 2009

39 Weeks and Your Pirate Update

Okay, so yesterday was the first day that I admitted that I would be okay not making it all the way to 40 weeks. I mean, I am getting pretty uncomfortable here. I can't get up without making some sort of horrific groaning noise (just ask my little mimicker Nikos!) and I can't seem to get comfortable to sleep at night. Oh, and on top of that none of my shirts fit. I can still squeeze into my Lucky non-maternity jeans (which I am thrilled about) but wearing them with one of my newly-half tops is just NOT attractive. I think the UPS guy is actually taking bets that when he shows up with a delivery I will be wearing the same Juicy sweatsuit. Don't worry - you'll get to see it in the "Going Home from Hospital" pic. My mom is already on alert that in case my water breaks while I am wearing it she needs to take it home and wash it so I can wear it home again. Hmm, maybe I should have sprung for two of these. Oh well.

At my 39 Week appointment today I found out that I was one centimeter dilated and 60% effaced (for those in the know.) She guesstimated the baby's weight to be between 6.5-7lbs at which point I let out a yelp. I mean, it took me 3 hours and 40 minutes to push out a little 5.4lber! Melanie made fun of me later and said most women would be thrilled with a 6-7lb baby. Let's hope I don't go past 40 weeks as I think I might have a heart attack if this kid is 8lbs. Luddy, I don't know how you did it!!

As for planning what can not be planned, tomorrow afternoon would be a good time to go into labor since a) I have a preschool tour at 11am b) Melanie has the day off c) Vernie is busy in the morning with a haircut so would not be able to watch the kids until later in the day. Friday also works, as long as it is the afternoon as well since Maile has an awards ceremony in the AM that Mel doesn't want to miss and then Mel has a hair appt mid-morning. Of course, I say she can always ditch the hair appointment. So bring it on!

In other the-world-does-not-revolve-around-Heather news, Taki went for his second consult today for his eye. The good news is that the doctor would not have expected to see any improvement yet (so we shouldn't be disheartened about that) and he pretty much agreed that Kaiser has been right on the money with instructions, treatment, etc. He advised Tyke to wait 6 months before considering the surgery. He said there is a 30% chance the eye will correct on its own to 100% and a 70% chance that the eye will correct on its own but only partially. Unfortunately, surgery is no guarantee to get the eye back to 100% and it will most likely take multiple surgeries and he will probably still have to deal with some double vision afterwards and wear glasses to correct the farsightedness in the eye. The good news is that he said one of the best doctors for the surgery in the Bay Area is in the Kaiser network (in fact, he already had a consult with Taki right after it happened) so we will be in good hands if we need to go the surgery route. So, fingers crossed again!

I think that's it. For those requesting more pictures in my recent posts, (you know who you are and I know you are just going to use them for blackmail later!) I'll try to get Tyke to take a 39 weeker tonight.

5 comments:

Shawna said...

I'm excited for you that you're so close! You're not going to know what to do with a 6-7 pound baby! Oh, and I'm sure your 39-week shot will be cute! I look like I'm about 50 weeks, and would never be so brave :)

The Press Family said...

Glad to hear you're progressing! You hadn't blogged in a couple days, I was wondering if you were busy pushing a baby out! I almost called to check on you today!

Sorry to hear about Taki's eye...at least he's where they expected him to be...which doesn't make either of you feel any better, I can imagine.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with pushing that baby out! :) We'll be thinking of ya!

Nick, Jocelyn and Kevin said...

You think the UPS guys is concerned about seeing you in a Juicy suit more than once? Was he not the delivery guy that saw you NOT in the Juicy suit but the birthday suit? Just sayin'...

Kelli said...

Suck it up, Heather. 6-7 pounds? Please. Call me if she tops 10 and then I'll listen to you say "ouch".