Wednesday, February 11, 2009

3 Weeks To Go and What Is Up With The Patch?

Well, I went in to my doctor's appointment today and the baby looks great...except for the fact that she is breech...boo!

So I have a couple of exercises that I am doing that basically involve me in very uncomfortable positions with my head towards the ground and my hips in the air. Fun stuff. In addition I have a visit with Taki's acupuncturist later on today to see if he can help. There is also an option to have a procedure done at the doctor's office called a version where the doctor attempts to move the baby into a head first position (by putting his/her hands on my abdomen.) If none of the above works then they will schedule me for a c-section in about two weeks. Eek! So that is the big baby update for today. Needless to say my sad little checklist remained exactly the same since I came home from the appointment a little freaked out and then spent a lot of the day upside down.

And finally, to follow up on a subject that I have had several questions about but haven't had a chance to answer - what is up with Taki's eye??

In early December Taki had elective surgery to remove polyps in his nose. He has had them for the last year and a half or so and he was pretty much constantly blowing his nose (hence the Nikos imitations in previous blogs) and losing his sense of smell. Obviously this situation sucked, and not only because he could no longer smell the dirty diapers and I ended up changing most of them (uh huh...sounds suspicious, right??) So on December 3rd Taki headed into the doctor for what was billed as a relatively simple procedure to remove the polyps. Well, when I went to pick him up after the surgery I was told that something had happened to his left eye during the surgery. We are still not exactly sure what happened but somehow the nerves that control the eye muscle movement in his left eye got damaged, so he can not move his iris/pupil to the left or down. When he looks straight ahead the iris points off to the left. The doctor told us that nerve injuries take a long time to heal and that we can expect to have to wait for up to six months. If it does not resolve itself on its own at six months they may be able to go in and do surgery to ratchet the muscle back, but there is no guarantee that it will work. So, in the meantime Taki is going to an acupuncturist once a week and he has a second opinion set up with a doctor outside our network in a few weeks (coincidentally, right around the time that my c-section would be scheduled - ha!) The eye patch appears in so many pictures because, since his eyes are not tracking together, he gets nauseous if he looks out of both of his eyes at once. Yes, basically the whole situation SUCKS but we are both hopeful that it will resolve itself on its own or with the help of acupuncture. So if you have leftover good thoughts...send them our way! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to wear an eye patch in 3rd grade - it sucks. Sorry Taki! I hope that girl flips around on you soon, Heather. Sounds like she's trouble already. :)

Hap and Sue said...

Hi!
We just wanted to send you very positive thoughts!! You've got to keep looking at that glass as half full not half empty and you will get through it all!! I know there have been times when I felt like "my plate was overflowing" and I couldn't handle everything on "that plate" and it helped me to remember something Grammy Lear once said to me -- God never gives us more than we can handle. Hang in there!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you!! Take Care! Can't wait to see the new little girl and find out the name you guys chose!! Love ya!!