Friday, April 11, 2008

PA!

This past weekend we traveled out to Pennsylvania to celebrate my Grammi's life at her funeral service. Although the trip was difficult it was great to be around so many family and friends that we haven't seen for awhile.

Nikos and Kira were champs on all four flights (two each way) and they didn't complain once about it being FREEZING and in the 40s the whole time we were there. What? Isn't it Spring? I must admit Melanie and I did some griping about how cold we were. Responsible person that I am I only brought heels and flip flops for myself (don't worry Nikos had his Uggs!) Of course, I feel like I must now mention that I forgot to bring a blanket for Nikos because I know Mel will bring it up in the Comments. Well, now Nikos owns a very cute blanket from Target's mod baby collection. Gotta love Target.

Kira and Melanie are all smiles on our first flight of the day from San Jose to Denver. This photo was taken before Kira fell asleep (for the whole flight). Nice.

Across the aisle, Pop-Pop, Nikos (and his giraffe rattle) and I settle in. Love the weird banana peel action in the background.

My dad was very patient, I think he had to ask every passenger in a three foot radius to retrieve the rattle in the first five minutes of the flight. Nikos just loves to see how far he can toss it! Nikos stayed up for the entire flight but didn't cry at all. It was touch and go for awhile and involved me standing in the aisle for a few minutes but all was well with a change of scenery. Fellow passengers actually commended the kids as we got off.

As we wait to de-plane Nikos laughs in the face of his "Infant-in-Lap" status and enjoys his own seat. (Notice the costume change. I actually just took off his outer onesie since it was HOT HOT HOT on the first flight and he was burning up. I thought I better point this out so I don't get called out for faking scenes and shooting retakes like The Hills.)

Thrilled to be adding another state to the list of two he has been to in his life - California and Washington - I know, I know, when we were in Tahoe for Thanksgiving we didn't cross the street to go to Nevada. Argh. Anyway, add Colorado to the list. You count airport layover states, right?

Positive thinking caused me to change Nikos into his pjs for the next flight to Philly.


Hmm, here is another one of my dad and Nikos. Apparently I did no work watching my child on this portion of the trip.


The afternoon after our arrival we gathered at Aunt Beth and Uncle Ray's house to enjoy family and food.

Mich, Heather and Nikos


Kevin and Kristin play house with Nikos. We were trying to figure out their relationship to him. 2nd Cousins? Cousins Once Removed? Regardless, he liked them - I mean, look at that adorable smile.


Here we remember Grammi by enjoying a game of Liverpool Rummy. We had a great time laughing and telling stories over the card game. The tale of finding Jesus at the King of Prussia mall still has me in giggles.

Nikos helped me remember if I was supposed to be saving sets or runs. He is quite the card shark.

Aunt Sue (aka Loyal Blog Reader) does double duty, watching both Kira and Nikos.


My family is so awesome! They planned for us to pick up pizzas from Nat's Pizza - my favorite pizza place ever! Of course I demanded that I go along to pick it up so I could get a picture of Nikos in front of the pizzeria.


Here's a picture of the last time I was there - Taki and I made a quick stopover in the Philly area after our honeymoon in Aruba in September '05. Love this place!


Are you wondering what has his attention? Eavesdropping on someone else's conversation perhaps?

Ahh, like mother like son.

Little Drummer Boy.


King of the Castle (Pizza Castle that is.)


And now a shout out to my loyal blog staff, it would not have been possible to stage this photoshoot without their diligent efforts. Kevin, thanks for driving and narrating along the way "Here's CB West, there's my best friend's house, hey we just passed our swim coach" and Kristin thanks for suggesting different poses for Nikos. Sorry we didn't take you up on your offer to ask the counter guy if we could go back in the kitchen.

Back at home (and apparently after a meal of butternut squash since he still has the remnants on his nose - bad Mom!)

Uh oh, where is his loyalty here? Don't worry Giants fans, you can breathe a sigh of relief. Taki and I agreed that he would be an SF Giants fan and a Philly Eagles fan. Basketball and Hockey are still up in the air although I think the Flyers have a shot.


Here's a shot of Uncle Joe and Auth Beth's awesome kitchen - I am jealous of their exposed brick.


Nikos get a kick out of Uncle Joe telling him that there were no infant pictures of Pop-Pop because he was an ugly child. Ahh, the city of brotherly love.


Cheers!

Enjoying the luncheon for Grammi are Uncle Ron and Aunt Barb (all the way from Delaware) and Uncle Joe. I think Nikos is plotting to steal Aunt Barb's baubles, he has become quite the jewel thief in training (as Jess Ward pointed out).


I join the picture. I wish you could see Nikos' whole outfit - he had a tie on! Yes, people were actually referring to him as "the little one with a tie". He had a braided belt on as well. Ha.


Later at Aunt Beth's house the three oldest girls from Aunt Sandy and Mich's Kids' Week pose with their children - how weird is that!! Mel and Kira, Nikos and I, Jess and Peyton (who is NOT named for Peyton Manning or the chic on One Tree Hill thank you very much).


And here's a fun shot of us from Kids' Week in July 1983. Aww. We are so grown up now. Too bad I didn't get Greg in the picture from this weekend - I think he has changed the most!


The night before we left we had a mini photo shoot with Kira and Nikos. Here is the comparison shot of Kira (4 months - 13 lb 11.9oz, 25 in.) and Nikos (10 months - 15lb 10.3oz, 27.5 in.). Ha.

Nikos' foot on left, Kira's on right.


On our last day in PA my dad indulged our (my) food cravings. First we stopped for a soft pretzel and then off to Dunkin Donuts. Sadly, Mel deemed my taking a picture at DD too lame so it I can't show you photographic evidence of that one.


Nikos grubs a pretzel piece.

And to all a good night...Nikos on the flight home.


He slept four hours and 30 minutes of the four hour and 40 minute flight from Chicago to San Jose. One of the flight attendants commented that the kids were so good and "did we give them anything?" Ha. I hope this bodes well for our flight to Chicago next month and Aruba in June!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Very cute chronicle. Took me all this time to read it! I think Niko should just start wearing his clothes too tight to look bigger. He looks awfully chubby in the first few pics. I think he gained weight since the appointment.

Kelli said...

Since he's such a good flyer, I demand you bring him down to LA. You have no excuse now.

The Roberts Family said...

"Could you please pick up my giraffe?" he he