Monday, March 3, 2008

Strawberries, Lemons and Advice From a Stranger

Continuing on the Austin Powers theme, it is also obvious that Nikos is stealthy as a ninja. Here he sneaks a sip of contraband Jamba Juice (Aunt Melanie's favorite flavor - Strawberry Surfrider --note, ordering it under its original name, Strawberry Tsunami is frowned upon).


Okay, okay, as you study this photo you will quickly realize that, not only am I not oblivious, I am a witting accomplice. I KNOW he is not supposed to have strawberries (or citrus) until he is 12 months old but I just wanted to see how he would react to something other than milk/Pedialyte/prune juice. Plus, I distinctly remember being at a party at the Lund's house when Makenzie Eggert was less than a year old and she sampled a strawberry. I figured Makenzie turned out fine so Nikos shouldn't have much to worry about.

Of course, not all good things go off without a hitch. The A.G. Ferrari Panini Counter Chic made a horrible face at me and told me it was too cold for his throat and I shouldn't be letting him have any. I wanted to say many things to her, namely: 1) Really Maria, our relationship begins and ends at Hot Coppa so if we could keep it to that I would appreciate it. 2) Looks are deceiving, just because he is small and adorable (and wearing 3-6 month shorts) that does not actually mean he is so young. He is really only 3 months (minus one day) away from the legal age to partake in a strawberry lemonade smoothie. 3) Does it look like his throat has gone numb due to the cold or that he is experiencing brain freeze? Due to the fact that he is chattering away and vaulting his entire 15.6 lb body weight at the straw, I think he's fine. And lastly 4) What cheese do you think would go best with Hot Coppa? However, I swallowed any bitterness (remembering that not three minutes earlier a nice elderly couple had paid for my meter when they heard me debating with Niko over whether we would get caught if I just ran in and grabbed a panini - so nice!) -- ANYWAY. I calmly told her that I had actually only squeezed a tiny bit onto his tongue and I am sure that it warmed up and melted before it got to his throat and I would like Buffalo Mozzarella please. Bonus points to Panini Counter Chic #2, Esmeralda, who matter-of-factly told Maria, "that baby, he love it. I watch his face and it not change at all and then big smile". Thank you Esmeralda, I will make sure to wait in your line in the future.

On our walk on the way home he decided to imitate I Dream Of Jeannie, either that or his little synapses were misfiring since they were frozen from the smoothie taste. Regardless, it's a little blurry as I caught him mid-headnod.

4 comments:

The Roberts Family said...

he is the cutest little nephew EVER!!! :)

Kelli said...

He must have been trying to warm his freezing throat with his arms.

Darcy said...

This post, LOL! I read it to my co-workers, they laughed out loud too. Good stuff.

Jeff said...

I'm hungry