Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Zoo Follies

On Friday we headed over to the zoo to enjoy the awesome weather and our renewed membership - and we even packed lunches! I know, I felt very Kienzle.

We experienced a first as well - about 2 exits from the zoo Nikos informs us that he has to go pee pee. We tell him to just hold on a little bit and I start negotiating with Taki about which entrance I should park by for easiest bathroom access. Taki says don't be ridiculous, he's a boy and can pee in a bush.

Enter our first "To Do" at the zoo.

To Do - pee in bushes.

Let me first explain that Nikos was fairly confused about what Taki was telling him to do. He ended up trying and basically came up with some stage fright. Of course, as we walk through the parking lot and are basically within steps of the entrance he screeches "I have to go pee in the bush right now." Great. I then had to explain that we only pee'd on bushes in emergencies. I think I had to explain this another 10 times just during our trip to the zoo.

"Cheese. Mom, can't we go on the rides first??" (No).

After a brief stop to look at the flamingos we head over to the favored giraffes.

After a visit to the lions (which may or may not be fake since they always seem to be in the same, barely-visible, far off position) we check out the elephants.

"Momma, remember the elephants that stayed back at the restaurant? They tried to eat Pop-Pop." Clearly Niko's memories of DisneyWorld last summer are a little bit different than mine.

Since little Miss Priss was making I'm HUNGRY squeals we headed over to the picnic area by the meercats to eat our packed lunches.

Olive eating her fancy "O" PB&J.

Nikos shoveling down his "N."

I did not make Taki a "T" - and my sandwich really wasn't pretty since I just ate the "N" & "O" scraps.

Olive and I at the new baboon habitat. Luckily no little bunnies were spotted in this enclosure (or any other primate ones - phew!)

And don't ask me why I look like a weird hunchback who just competed in some sort of event that erases all traces of makeup. This is just the way things work with my pictures sometimes.

On to the Children's Zoo to burn off some energy.

And we capped the visit off with a stop at the carousel. Good times!

4 comments:

Hap and Sue said...

It looks like you all had a great time. Love Nikos' hat -- GO CUBS!! Love the fancy sandwiches you made!!

Brenda B. said...

We should all get together at the zoo! We just got our memberships as well and went for the first time at the beginning of June :)

D'Angelo Family said...

Olvie looks like such a big girl in these pictures!

Sara said...

I can't believe this was Nikos' first time peeing on a bush! Joey is so WT by comparison!