Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fueled by Kindness

To celebrate his birthday, Taki and I met at Taylor's for lunch. Taylor's is located in the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero and has a fabulous patio out front - perfect to take full advantage of the hot weather and beautiful sunshine.

While in line for food we see a guy roll up in a green la-z-boy chair, perched on top of a pallet with wheels on it. Dude, what kind of freaky San Francisco thing is this? Being nosy -- I mean, naturally curious -- I stare at the guy for awhile, trying to figure out what's up. He has a sign attached to his chair that says "Push Me to the Golden Gate" and there's a guy with him filming him on a small camera. I momentarily stop staring to place my order "Bacon Cheddar Burger, but switch the cheese to Blue please, an order of garlic fries and a Diet Coke." While Taki dictates his order I turn my attention back to the guy in the chair, I totally feel like I know him.

Taki and I go find a seat on the patio and it pops into my head "Taki, that guy is totally the Hippie from Amazing Race!" Yes there is an exclamation mark here. I was very excited. They were my favorite team! To which Taki scoffs "yeah, that'd be a pretty big coincidence." To which I explain that the Hippies were from San Francisco. I debate approaching the red haired Hippie in the Barkalounger. (sp?)

Eavesdropping, I find out that he is doing an experiment on human kindness to see if he can get people to push him in his chair all the way from his place in the Mission to the Golden Gate (10 miles.) Interesting.

Curiosity killed the cat and I approached him (shocking, I know) with the stellar line "Were you on Amazing Race?" After he confirms and introduces himself (Tyler) and gives me a hug (so like he was on the show - love it!) I, of course, take a picture with him. So fun! (Love cell phone cameras!)

Despite the fact that I want to drill him on how I can become a contestant on the Amazing Race, I leave him alone because a) he is obviously busy with this chair-Golden Gate thing and b) I'm hungry.

Back at the table I share with Taki how he was super nice and exactly like he was on the show and remember how he and the other Hippie were so nice to everyone they met in all of the countries and now I have to call Mel and my Mom and tell them.

Anyway, this story is turning out longer than any of you want it to be, I am sure, but here's a little clip of me helping push him down the Embarcadero. -- Come on, you knew it was going to end this way! If you want to check out his whole journey you can see it here.


8 comments:

The Press Family said...

Only in San Francisco!!
What was the deal withe the sheet at the end? Were you under there??
I know you're a fan, but c'mon!

Anonymous said...

That is so hilarious! Good story...I love the video!

Bill and Cindy said...

Loved him on Amazing Race. Remember how he & his teammate always learned common phrases in the language of whatever country they were in? Always had a positive attitude, too. Glad to hear he was nice in person.

Sarah said...

You seem like a huge dork in that video. I mean, why are you moving so slowly? Put your back into it Kienzly!

Unknown said...

We met him (and by met I meant he walked by us and we took stalker-esque pictures of him) at the Doggone Fun Run a couple of years ago. He was the Celebrity that started the walk. They were my favorite team too, I agree with Bill and Cindy's points.

D'Angelo Family said...

I really don't even know where to begin....do I comment on your food order, the fact that you even knew who that guy was, that you hate dirty hair..but touched his nasty who knows where he found it (dumpster) chair??

Linda said...

I'm kind of surprised (knowing you) that you didn't go all the way to the bridge!

Romios Family said...

Alright, I feel these questions deserve a response. 1. Jennie, he was peeing under the sheet. I know, gross , right? But his deal was that he couldn't touch the ground for the entire eight hours. For the record, I was not there when he pee'd, I was already back at the restaurant. 2. I am NOT a huge dork. They told me to walk slow so he could talk to the camera you big meanie. 3. Katie, I know, I should have went for a salad but the burger was sooo good. At least I didn't get a shake! And his hair was clean (as was the chair), I think it was actually his chair from his living room.