Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday Conundrums

You know those cool new commercials that advertise the fact that you can deposit your check at Chase by taking a picture of it and then sending it to the bank? How cool is that, right? Well apparently an integral part of this process is destroying the check afterwards. Why so necessary, you ask? Let me give you a hypothetical.

Wife: texts husband from Santa Barbara, suggesting he use nifty new deposit feature to deposit whopping $15 class action lawsuit check received in the mail.
Husband: radio silence
Wife: walks 40 miles and forgets about it

Several days later...
Aforementioned couple are sitting on the couch watching the Giants/Dodgers game when another cool check commercial comes on tv.
Husband: "Oh, I did that the other day."
Wife: "You did what?"
Husband: "I deposited your check using my phone like you asked me to do."
Wife: "Shit. You never told me that."
Husband: "I didn't? Why, what's wrong."
Wife: "I cashed the check at my credit union today."
Husband: "Oh. Huh. I guess I should have destroyed it."
Wife: "And not just left it on the table? Huh."

Yes, so I guess we...I mean the hypothetical couple in this story...are now bank fraud perpetrators. Great. I mean, I partly blame stupid Chase for a) having their website be down ALL YESTERDAY and most of today - thus not allowing one to check the balance of their account and b) for letting the check be cashed. Hello?

I guess one of us will be making some calls tomorrow to try and avoid the warrant issue. My bet's on the fact that it will be the same person calling the Emeryville Amtrak station every other day to see if their freaking i.d. has shown up. I mean, does someone really think that they can use that i.d. to get into bars?? Not gonna happen. When you look naked in your pic (with great hair no less) the bouncer is going to pay way more attention to you.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I think there's a black market for naked ID photos :) You may never get that back!

The Roberts Family said...

Classic!
(And I agree with Sara, that ID is a hot find! Nobody would let that go!)