Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Play by Play

Here's a glimpse into one of my Fridays with the kids.

Plan: when Nikos gets up (between 6:30-7:00) get up with him & go work out in garage for an hour. Eat light breakfast.
Actual: sleep in until Olive gets up at 8:15. Eat bacon, eggs & toast made by Taki (working at home for the day) and then work out for an hour - entertaining toddler for part of the workout.


Plan: quick trip to Costco to pick up family photos (from Jackie at the Fair) that I ordered online probably a month ago. Go to zoo afterwards, arriving at 10am.
Actual: leave house at 11:15. While picking up photos realize that I need to pay to renew the membership. Determine that I am not going to come to Costco to just spend $103 on photos (actual photo cost = $3) and decide to pick up "a few" necessities.)


$300 later the kids and I are leaving Costco with the things on the impromptu list in my head (waffles) and a few things that were not on my list: books for the kids (partial bribe to stop whining), Aidell's meatballs (purchased after the kids sampled them & then Nikos proceeded to scream "I WANT MEAT" at the top of his lungs), a 3.7 cu foot mini fridge that, after intently studying, I am positive will fit a pony keg, a ladybug costume for Olive, some of those kids' foam pad thingys, a case of yogurt, a fountain soda and a strawberry smoothie. Note: tissues were also on my impromptu list but were quickly abandoned when a) I couldn't find them and b) tiny people started throwing things like babydolls and brand-new-begged-for-not-even-purchased-yet books at my head.

Second Note: below picture taken prior to me hoisting the giant fridge box into the cart, thus bringing on zero visibility and causing me to run into no less than 15 people/carts/store displays. And by ME hoisting I mean the fellow shopper that I flagged down that looked like he could have been on a Marines' recruitment billboard.



Plan: Leave Costco after trip (that took slightly longer than planned), drop off purchases at home and head to the Oakland Zoo for a possible Brangelina siting (in town while he is filming Moneyball in Oakland.)
Actual: despite valiant efforts by both myself and helpful Costco amigo, finally admit that there is NO WAY that giant fridge box is fitting in my little Volvo (flashback to [pre-kid] car buying convo with Taki "why would we want to spend more money to buy the S60 - isn't it exactly like the S40 just a little bigger?") Unfortunately, there are no good samaritans around to drive my purchase home for me. Leave Costco, promising Julio that I will be back in 20 min (we live 2 exits away on the freeway.)
Actual Actual: we hit bizarre midday traffic, causing a 7 min trip to turn into 30. But have no fear, we were entertained during the last 10 minutes by Olive, serenading us at the top of her lungs. Equal parts pissed that Nikos was not holding up to his end of the strawberry smoothie-sharing bargain and also just plain exhausted. We get home and Olive immediately goes down for a nap. I say a quick prayer that Julio is not waiting outside Costco for us and I drag Nikos outside to start on our new Outdoor Playspace project!

Before:


During:


After:


Note the new foam thingys and the fact that Olive is up, despite taking a 2 hour nap. This took longer than "planned". Nikos is also reading new book (earlier used as a projectile aimed for my head) so I feel good about that purchase as well.

Since it is after 4pm and the zoo closes at 5 I 86 it. Head back to Costco with Taki, kids and pony keg (to confirm it will fit comfortably in our new fridge.) Scale of 10 puts my confidence level at 10, because comeon, I can fit in that box. The keg however, does NOT fit. And by it does not fit I mean it totally would have fit if Taki sawed out the freezer portion and left the door ajar - but we decided not to go that route. Luckily we discovered this little knowledge gem using the floor model, so I was able to return our new-in-box fridge - that, in fact, never left the store despite being purchased 4 hours earlier.

Drive home and bizarrely hit none of the regular Friday night into the city traffic.

Plan: make new asparagus & mushroom tart recipe for family for dinner.


Actual: Tyke makes mac-n-cheese and leftover meatloaf muffins for the kids while I make tart. Am not upset when tart looks nothing like picture because it is yummy. Wahoo!






Enjoy glass of wine with Taki while Nikos charms us into an 8pm bedtime.






And to all a goodnight!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Bill and Cindy said...

Glad you can be flexible when your PLANS don't fgo as PLANNED.

Bill and Cindy said...

I meant "go" not "fgo"

Hap and Sue said...

I love this post!! It sounds like one of my days -- only the kids I would have with me are my grandchildren, who are older, but can still get quite "huffy" when things aren't going according to their plan!! haha!! It all sounds so familiar!! Keep on making those plans -- BUT remain flexible!!