Thursday, May 20, 2010

Walk This Way

Four years ago I walked in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Long Beach, California and had an awesome experience. The Walk itself is 39 miles and the proceeds raised go towards the education, and prevention, of breast cancer. I walked in honor of my Aunt Sandy - or "Anut". While the walk itself is pretty exhausting, it was such a moving experience! I couldn't convince anyone to do it with me in 2006 (the $1800 in donations you have to raise is pretty daunting!) so I went to the walk alone. Of course, you know me, I started chatting with a few girls at the beginning of the first day and ended up walking all 39 miles with them. When I later told Taki that at first I couldn't find them on the second day (there are a LOT of people) he told me that they were trying to ditch me on purpose so they didn't have to listen to me talk for another 13 miles. What?!

So this year I decided to not put strangers through the misery of listening to me talk for 39 miles straight (or 26 the first day and 13 the following) - this time I will make MEL listen. HA! We will be walking (and talking) in September in Santa Barbara.

I'll be keeping track of our training walks and other trials and tribulations and liveblogging from the event as well. If you have been touched by breast cancer at all or would simply like to donate to the cause, please visit my donation site. And - you can also split up your donation and pay it off in as many as 5 months!

Anut Sandy, sporting a brave face in the midst to Mel and I kicking her butt at Crazy Bee Rummy - hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! (All comments by Mel, Anut, Kristin or my Mom about this matter will be automatically deleted from the blog.)

1 comment:

The Press Family said...

HEy that sounds awesome!!! I'd love to do it with you...is there wine/beer/ritas at the end of the day? I could probably stand to hear you talk for 39 miles (broken up, of course). ;o)