Saturday, July 3, 2010

Kamping Klowns 2010 - Part 1

Last Friday we had the pleasure of joining my friend Jennie (from high school) and her family for a camping trip on the beach down by Santa Barbara. IT WAS AWESOME! I was a little bit nervous since Taki didn't grow up as a big camper, and hasn't been that enthusiastic about wanting to try it since we started dating. Despite the fact that I hit the money shot (it's cheaper than a hotel!) he wasn't going for it. Well, after talking to Jen about all of the camping they do (and reading about it on her blog) I decided to just do what I do for every vacation, plan it!

We left our house on Friday around noon (planned departure was 10:30a) and started the drive to Carpinteria (about 12 miles south of Santa Barbara.) I wasn't too worried about the drive since we have taken the kids on a bunch of them already, and I've done pretty much the same drive with the kids solo. Of course, as they get older it adds new wrinkles. Nikos was pretty much great for the whole drive, thanks to his red "computier" (dvd player) and a selection of Heather-approved videos (ie. do NOT bring that god forsaken Thomas video!) Of course, fate dealt me a blow when the Thomas video was the one that was already in the player when he opened it. DOH! Anyway, he did really well. My big concern with Nikos was the potty breaks. I had made the mistake of reading the Stecher roadtrip blog entry shortly before I left and I was imagining us pulling over every 15 minutes. I did calm down a little bit when I remembered they had TWO potty trained kids to deal with. Of course, a few minutes later I remembered that I had Taki's pee breaks to deal with as well so I started panicking again. Turns out Nikos did really well. I won't mention who had to stop more times to pee.

Olive was a little more of a handful, we did turn her seat around so she could face forward and we finally remembered to bring that little pacifier leash, so we weren't playing Where In the World Is Your Pacifier every 20 minutes. Of course, being the little miss 'tude that she is she was a little pissed that the pacifier was attached to her. Oh, sooo Olive.

After two hours we stopped for gas and a potty break. Two hours later we stopped again to eat a healthy lunch at McDonalds. Every roadtrip we go on Taki and I say we need to find out where the McDonalds are with the playplaces so we can stop there and let Nikos burn off some energy. Why is this so hard? From the car their website was too clunky to find them easily - someone please tell me there is an app for this that I can just download? I guess next time we should just try and plan it out before we leave - but it doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

Olive sports the windblown look on the patio after lunch.

Once we got back in the car Nikos made sure to wish Anut Sandy a Happy Retirement (we'd been getting updates from her Retirement Party at Knoebels from the PA fam.)



After another 2.5 hours (6.5 hours total for the trip) we pulled into the campground. What a great location! Here is a shot of Taki and Olive - and this is directly diagonal from our campsite!

Jeff and Jen totally have the camping thing down, which was awesome for the Romios family (aka moochers.) All we had to bring down was ourselves, clothes for the week, an airbed/sheets and they pretty much provided everything else. We shared their campsite (they have a new 26 foot rv) and they even brought a tent for us! I'm telling you, for our first camping trip we couldn't have planned it better!

Here is Nikos checking out our living situation for the next five days and four nights.

It was perfect. We set up the air mattress in the middle for Taki and I, with the pak-n-play for Olive on the right and Nikos' Buzz Lightyear sleeping bag on the left.

Olive surveying the view.

Jen and Jeff have a great group of friends (that I have been fortunate enough to hang out with a few different times) that are really welcoming. All together I think there were 11 kids in our group!

The next morning we took a walk down the beach. Nikos absconded with Olive's hat again, little sneak.

Nikos (in all his white trash-no pants glory) and Mia (daughter of Jeff and Jen's friends) explore the waves.

It's amazing that she was still playing with him since he almost pee'd on her about two minutes earlier! He was a huge fan of the camping, pee on the beach thing. I think he may have even beat one of Taki's records by going FIVE times in less than a half hour. I am not exaggerating. If I heard "look momma, a rainbow...a fountain...etc." one more time!

Olive conks out on the walk.

Zach and Nikos on the walk back to the campsite.

Later on Tyke and Olive relax on the beach.

Dylan and Trevor in the kiddie jail hole that Jen and I dug.

We let Olive crash on the bed (a first!) for her naps.

I enjoy General McChrystal's favorite beer.

Much to my chagrin I discover another country fan in the family (Taki was the sleeper fan.) Notice how he so busy dancing and watching his shadow that he makes Taki crack his peanuts for him!



More to come!

2 comments:

Anut S said...

Thanks, Niko for the retirement wishes! I can't believe it but... the tent you stayed in is exactly like ours (which we just set up for the retirement bash) and we have the exact chair that Niko is "dancing" in! It's a small country after all!

Bill and Cindy said...

That campground looks so inviting! What a great spot. Glad you all had such a good time.